Some reports over the last week have had it that Scott Boras recently approached the Yankees about re-signing Rafael Soriano to a one year deal, as their interim closer has found the free agent market rather lacking after declining a qualifying offer from the Bombers. The Yankees supposedly turned him down flat, preferring to earn a compensation pick and additional draft pool money to adding Soriano to an already well stocked bullpen, but Jon Heyman now says none of that ever happened, and that Soriano wants to be a closer this coming season:
not sure where this got started, bit rafael soriano did not offer to return to yanks on 1 yr deal. sori wants to close.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) January 8, 2013
The usual caveats about Soriano being a Boras client obviously apply here, but there you have it.
Elsewhere, ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand says that the Yankees haven't actually shut the door on a Soriano return entirely, and that there is (at least theoretically) a point at which Soriano could bring his demands low enough that the Yankees would be willing to welcome him back. That seems like it should be a given, at least in nominal terms, so without any real detail I'm inclined to believe that we aren't actually going to get anywhere close to that point.