Happy What's Wrong With Mo Week everyone! The Yankees looked like they had a 3-1 victory wrapped up in the ninth inning until a two run home run by Miguel Cabrera with two outs tied the game at three.
Mariano Rivera blew his second save in two games and Yankee fans were distraught. Or maybe that was just me.
Thankfully, the Yankees won the game in the 10th on a Brett Gardner single with the bases loaded and two outs. Yes, the Yankees nearly wasted a bases loaded situation. And if they had, it just would have been a typical 2013 season disaster.
The big story aside from the game itself was the reception Alex Rodriguez would get from the home fans. It was mixed when he stepped into the box for his at bat - about 50/50 boos and cheers. After an 0-4, three strikeout performance, the boos were a lot more vociferous.
The other big story was Ivan Nova who was brilliant again lasting seven innings for the sixth start in a row. He gave up one earned run on eight hits with two walks and seven strikeouts. It's a shame his good outing was wasted but at least the Yankees ended up winning and snapping Detroit's 12-game winning streak.
- Both Gardner and Ichiro Suzuki had three hits.
- Austin Jackson had four hits for the Tigers.
- Alfonso Soriano joined A-Rod in the three strikeout club for the night.
- David Robertson pitched a three up, three down eighth inning.
- Shawn Kelley earned the win by only pitching a 1/3 of an inning.
- The Tigers outhit the Yankees 12-10.