Here are some late afternoon news and notes for you from sunny Florida. From Chad Jennings of Lohud:
- Michael Pineda threw another bullpen session today and he not only impressed catcher Peter O'Brien but manager Joe Girardi also liked what he saw: “Does he look like he’s putting too much effort to let the ball go, or is it coming out easy? That’s what I’ve seen. It’s coming out easy. I don’t see him overthrowing. And the stuff being sharp, hitting his spots with some sink and some run to it. His slider looks good. His changeup looks good. His mechanics to me look much more polished than they were a couple of years ago. He’s had a lot of time to work on it and to think about it. He’s much more consistent in his delivery.”
- More on Pineda: He didn't face live batters like Vidal Nuno or Adam Warren but Girardi said that had nothing to do with Pineda's health. He said that some guys got an earlier start working out in Florida which is why they're progressing faster.
- Derek Jeter made it through workouts without any issues, he's moving well and he's a little lighter than he usually is. His weight usually hovers around 199 and he reported to camp at 193. He wanted less pressure on his legs.
Here are some pictures from Bryan Hoch's twitter account:
And more stories:
- Thanks to Jeter's big announcement, McCann, Ellsbury and Beltran are flying under the radar - Andrew Marchand of ESPN NY
- There's no comparison between Derek Jeter's health last spring and this spring (Hint: He was lying about how he felt last spring) - Jorge Castillo of nj.com
- Alfonso Soriano is pondering retirement - George King of the New York Post