It was setting up to be a fantastic night for CC Sabathia, and it was all undone in a split second. The Yankees dropped the second game of their four game set against the Red Sox by a 4-2 score after Sabathia had an implosion in the sixth inning, and the Yankee bats didn't show up.
The pitchers dominated through the first five innings, as the only run came on a solo home run by Alfonso Soriano in the second inning. The Yankees only had three hits in the first five innings, and Boston only had one.
Sabathia was dominating and had all three pitches working. He was really working the inside of the plate very well, thus was able to get many strikeouts on his changeup away. Sabathia mixed his pitches and his speeds very well. Many Red Sox hitters were late on his 90 mph fastballs.
However, Sabathia completely fell apart in the sixth inning for the second consecutive start. He allowed a solo home run to Jonny Gomes and a three-run shot to Grady Sizemore. The razor sharp command that he had in the first five innings left him, as he gave up a 3-0 single to Mike Napoli, and the home run allowed to Sizemore was on a slider perfectly teed up in his wheelhouse down and in.
The Good Stuff
- Soriano looks like he has found his swing and had two hits.
- Betances and Adam Warren looked dominant yet again.
The Not So Good Stuff
- Yangervis Solarte looks like he started to remember that he was a career journeyman.
- Brian Roberts sees a lot of pitches, but it would be nice if he did something with those pitches once in awhile.
- Sabathia ran into huge problems in the sixth for the second straight start. He showed how he can be effective with his diminished stuff in the first five innings, but also showed how he can get crushed at any time. Sabathia's location was off in the sixth, and he just cannot afford to do that anymore.
- Sabathia has allowed seven earned runs in the sixth inning this season. He had a 8.06 ERA in the sixth inning last season.
- On a positive note for Sabathia, he passed Roger Clemens for 11th on the Yankees all-time strikeouts list.