With all due respect to my main man A-Rod, last night's game was the infinitely more important ST debut in terms of impact on the team's success. Masahiro Tanaka was the man making his debut, and unlike a greater-than-zero percentage of the Yankee fanbase I was not worried about him at all. I was looking forward to seeing him pitch again. Just the thought of him pitching was giving me goosebumps when I was following the game online last night. And he did not disappoint. Tanaka looked very good in his 2 innings of work, highlighting another 1-run Yankee victory.
- Tanaka's line: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4 GB outs. He retired the 6 batters he faced in order and did it on 19 pitches (15 strikes). He was so efficient that he didn't even reach his pitch count in game action and finished his scheduled work in the bullpen. Scouts on hand were very positive in their evaluations, and according to Erik Boland some had him sitting high-80s with his fastball. Ha. Guy was mowing down Major League hitters and he wasn't even trying.
- Scott Baker followed Tanaka and had a much better outing than last time. 1 earned run and no walks in 3 IP with 3 strikeouts. That gets a golf clap.
- Justin Wilson was the other pitching highlight with a perfect frame and 2 strikeouts. He looks like he's fixing to lock in his bullpen spot in the next week or so.
- Didi Gregorius tripled and scored the Yankees' first run in the 3rd inning. He also took a pitch off the right hammy and left the game in his next at-bat, although he and the team both said it was no big deal.
- Other offensive highlights: Jake Cave staying red hot and doubling in a run, Austin Romine doubling in his lone plate appearance, and Mark Teixeira notching a silver sombrero with 3 strikeouts in his 3 PA.
- Mad props to Fredi Gonzalez for getting ejected in the 1st inning, after his starter had thrown 1 pitch. Sometimes you just don't feel like going to work. We can all relate to that. In the cube monkey world, that means calling out and staying home in your sweatpants to watch "Curb" episodes all day. In the baseball world, that means getting run in the 1st inning of the game. Love it.