Sorry, kids. I'm packing for Colorado so you're just getting bullet points for this game. Game Notes:
- It was a good day today for Chase Whitley, who got another start and turned it into an extended audition for the bullpen long man role. He pitched 4 innings of 1-run ball and struck out 6 without walking a batter. It would be a major upset if he didn't make the Opening Day roster.
- It was a bad day for 8/9 of the projected starting lineup, as they combined to go 3-20 with 2 walks and 5 K against Tampa Bay pitching. Not really a big deal, but some runs are always better than no runs.
- It was a really bad day for Brendan Ryan, who suffered a calf strain trying to field a grounder and had to be carried into the dugout. After the game, Joe said he expected Ryan to start the season on the DL, so there's that open roster spot again.
- Andrew Bailey pitched this afternoon, throwing another scoreless inning and working around a pair of baserunners. If he pitches tomorrow, maybe he's still a darkhorse for the 7th bullpen spot.
- Nice little bit of cleanup work by Nick Rumbelow to pitch 2 scoreless frames and strike out 3. He's done a nice job this spring. Have to imagine he's up in that top mix of available arms if bullpen injuries strike.
- A-Rod Update: 0-2 with a BB and a K today. Slated to play first base again tomorrow.