I'm tired and I don't have a lot of time this morning, so this one's getting the real quick treatment. The Yankees won (yaaayyyy!!)
- Ivan Nova was a groundball machine in his 6 innings of work. He had full command of his sinker and the Oakland hitters could do nothing with it. Nova recorded 12 of his 18 outs on the ground and used a lot of early strikes and double plays to get those 18 on only 62 pitches.
- That didn't stop Joe from going to his bullpen horses for the final 9 outs though, and they responded as you'd expect. Betances, Miller, and Chapman combined to strike out 5 in 3 scoreless innings and Chapman picked up his 5th save in 5 chances.
- The offense was 90% driven by Brett Gardner and Carlos Beltran. Gardner went 2-3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored, and got the Yankees on the board when Beltran doubled him home in the 3rd.
- Beltran went 2-5 with the double, a home run, and 3 RBI. The homer was a 2-run shot in the top of the 9th to give Chapman a big extra cushion. Don't look now, but Beltran has hit 5 homers in the last 10 days.
- Chase Headley went 2-4 with a double as he continues his slow climb back to respectability.
- Big second game of the series tonight as CC Sabathia comes off the DL to retake his rotation spot. He'll be facing Oakland ace Sonny Gray.