There was never a chance the Yankees were going to win this game when they rolled out the lineup that they did. Let's just come out and say that right out front. The shine is definitely off after those few good weeks. This team is just garbage.
- Ivan Nova got knocked around for 5 runs on 10 hits in 5 innings. He gave up 4 of those in the bottom of the 5th to give the Rockies a 5-2 lead, the dagger a 2-run shot by Nolan Arenado on a terrible pitch. Nova has been awful lately and at this point I think the Yankees are fine to send him back to the 'pen, where his early-inning success could play in a middle relief role, and recall Luis Severino.
- The 2 runs put up by the C+ lineup came in the top of the 4th on 4 singles and a throwing error. That was all the boys managed against Colorado starter Charlie Bettis, who lowered his season ERA to a cool 5.63.
- XBH hit count: 0
- Aaron Hicks and Didi Gregorius each went 2-4 with a ribbie. They were hitting 5th and 6th.
- Aroldis Chapman gave up a late run on 2 hits to seal the deal in the 8th. That group really hasn't been all that sharp lately. Probably trying not to get traded so they can keep being a part of this great organization.
- Carlos Beltran had his knee drained yesterday and I haven't seen a timetable for his return yet. Sounds like Teix is trying to get back in the lineup this week. Yaaayyy...